Focus on Freshwater Aquarium FishBook - 2004
An illustrated reference to more than 150 popular freshwater aquarium fish includes a general description with information on the mature size and the characteristics of individual species.
Firefly Books Ltd
A totally fresh look at fish.
Focus on Freshwater Aquarium Fish is a valuable reference for fishkeepers at all levels. The book features a wide variety of fish illustrated in a dynamic way and offers practical advice for their care.
The book presents the fish based on their families or fishkeeping groups. These groupings consist of:
- American and African Cichlids: bold inhabitants
- Characins: from tetras to piranhas
- Live-bearers: includes guppies and mollies
- Killifish: short-lived beauties
- Anabantids: air breathers including Bettas
- Danios, Minnows and Rasboras
- Catfish: found in tropic and temperate waters
- Rainbowfish: tropical fish at home in tap water
- Sharks and Loaches: bottomfeeders and efficient algae eaters
- Barbs: active and gregarious
- Oddballs: pufferfish, low-voltage eels, elegant predators and more
- Goldfish: a wide variety of a perennial favorite.
Each section opens with an overview that introduces the range of fish within that group and explores their adaptations. The images and text provide details of the mature size and main characteristics of each fish, its behavior in the aquarium and a brief look at how it breeds.
The bright, colorful photographs display the fish swimming rather than as static side views. This evokes a clearer sense of the personality of each species. Freshwater fishkeepers will be delighted at the beauty and choice available.
A valuable reference for fishkeepers of all levels offering well illustrated profiles and practical advice on caring for specific species.
Two seasoned authors of books on aquarium fish combine efforts in a lavishly illustrated reference on some 150 popular freshwater aquarium fish, with sections covering African cichlids; American cichlids; characins; live-bearers; killfish; anabantids; danios, minnows and rasboras; catfish; rainbowfish; loaches and sharks; barbs; oddballs; and goldfish. Each section includes general discussion of the type followed by detailed information on the mature size and characteristics of individual species. Illustrated with some 800 full color photographs, the text will appeal to both experienced and novice hobbyists. Annotation ©2004 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)