Play Golf for JuniorsBook - 2000
Gives step-by-step instructions on how children can improve their game, and provides information on equipment, rules, and tournament play.
Firefly Books Ltd
PGA Academy instructors introduce young people to the game of golf. Tthe authors explain golf in simple terms and concepts without missing an important detail.
"Junior golf is the fastest growing section of the golf market by far...two out of every three high schools have a golf team.... Currently in the USA there are about five million juniors between the ages of 6 and 18 playing golf on a regular basis..."
- From the Introduction of Play Golf for Juniors
PGA Academy instructors Mike Adams and T.J. Tomasi introduce young people to the game of golf. In relaxed, conversational style the authors explain golf in simple terms and concepts without missing an important detail. Young players are encouraged to think the game through and understand its idiosyncrasies and the obstacles to a good swing, whether on the tee, on the fairway, in the rough, in a sandtrap or on the green.
The authors' lengthy teaching experience provides a set of progressive lessons used at the PGA Academy:
- Equipment - the six important club specifications, why one iron goes farther than another, grip size, divots, loft and lie angle
- The Rules - the basics, from what's par to how a course is laid out and played, rules of etiquette, playing out of bounds, the rule of equity
- On Teaching Juniors - an important section for adults encouraging and supporting a young player, and understanding the three phases to learning golf
- The Set Up - grip, ball position, posture, stance, aim and alignment
- Full Swing - the swing's mechanics, making contact plus 11 drills and 8 junior swings fully explained with sequential photographs
- The Short Game - the putting stroke, putting drills, chipping, bunker play, pitching, plus more drills
- Learning Programs for Juniors - setting up a practice routine, picking junior programs, finding a pro
- Tournaments - keeping your game ready, making practices count, staying injury-free.
With a glossary, "Tips" sidebars throughout, special advice for female juniors plus comprehensive sequential photography, PGA Golf For Juniors is an exceptionally complete book. It will appeal to aspiring young players, their parents and coaches.